How I Prepare Beans



As-salaam alaikum.

Everyone develops their own way of preparing their beans to be used for cooking. Many people choose to soak their beans overnight, while others use the quick soak method. Some sisters rinse their beans with water. I have even seen some use dish soap to wash their beans! My methods have evolved many times over the years as my family’s needs have changed. I’ll share with you what is currently working best for me and why.


First, let me say that that there is no compulsion in bean prep (smile). I encourage you to do what works best for your family. However, there is one practice that I will never condone. I have viewed several videos on YouTube where sisters empty their bag of beans in a bowl of water, soak them overnight, then rinse them. I couldn’t believe my eyes! We should always thoroughly clean our beans before soaking. When we don’t follow this protocol, the dirt from the surface of the beans settles in the soaking water and is then absorbed inside the beans as they soak. There is no way to clean the inside of a bean, therefore these beans are filthy. Please clean your beans thoroughly before soaking.


I begin preparing my beans by gathering 1-2 pounds of beans, kosher salt, a large bowl, and a sieve/strainer.



I add my beans to the bowl. I pick out any “bad beans” such as broken beans, malformed beans, or discolored beans. This can also be done efficiently on a baking sheet.


Next, I add a little kosher salt to the bowl. Kosher salt is a great abrasive substance that saves time and energy while cleaning the beans impeccably.


I fill the bowl with enough water to submerge the beans.


Then, I vigorously swish the beans around the bowl with my hands until the water becomes visibly dirty.


I drain the beans in a the sieve/strainer and rinse under hot water.


I quickly rinse any dirt out of the bowl, pour the beans back in, and repeat washing and draining at least 2 more times (more if necessary) until the water becomes clear for white beans or nearly clear for small red beans. Red beans may leave a trace of color in the water but that slight “tint” is noticeably different than “cloudy” looking dirty water.

When I was a new Muslim, sisters taught me to wash beans thoroughly by rubbing them together under running water. This did little except loosen or completely remove the hulls. Beans are best served with the skin on because much of the insoluble fiber of beans is in the hull/skin. Cleaning in this way still left some traces of impurities on the beans which would come off in the water as “foam” as the beans boiled. If you are constantly removing “foam” from your beans, try washing them with salt. Once I began using salt as a cleanser, the skins remained, and the foam disappeared. It was a win-win change.

“You do not have to strain the beans to eat them. Straining the beans is a real habit that we took up years ago. But, they are better if you eat them in their hull (skin).” How to Eat to Live Book 2, Chapter 20, page 71.


While I am cleaning the beans, I let a large pot filled with water come to a boil. I add 1 heaping tablespoon of salt for each pound of beans. I do this to season the beans deeply. Some people say this lengthens the cooking time, but that has not been my experience. At least not with fresh beans that have not yet become old and super-dehydrated. I find that when salt is not added from the beginning. The beans do not absorb the flavor as well and I end up needing more seasoning or just settling for a batch of bland-tasting beans.

If you haven’t noticed, I no longer soak my beans. I used to use the overnight soaking method because I was told it lessened gas. I did this long soak religiously for two decades. Then, after getting married, my husband showed me how he preferred his beans prepared (very specific, exact same way every day). THIS MAN DID NOT SOAK HIS BEANS! I was shocked. What kind of madness was this (smile)?? Guess what!? There was no increase in flatulence compared to using any other method, and it saved time. I realize everyone's body is different, but this works very well for my family's needs. It is definitely worth experimentation. In addition, study has taught me that soaking is done to remove sugars known as oligosaccharides. Oligosaccharides are excellent “prebiotics”, which are wonderful for maintaining healthy gut flora! I want those sugars left in my beans. The real key to lessening colic is cooking the beans well done, as the Messenger teaches. Beans should be completely soft, not merely tender. Navy bean soup should be given time to thicken as the beans fall apart. Watery broth means the soup is not done cooking, the flavor is not fully developed, and your stomach isn’t going to be fond of you in a few hours. If you prefer to soak your beans, the instructions can generally be found on the bag.

“Just get yourself some common food. Number one, a bag of navy beans. Cook them well-done so that you will not get the colic from eating half-done beans.” How to Eat to Live Book 2, Chapter 52, page 175.


After the water is boiling, I carefully add the beans. I allow the water to return to a boil, then cover the pot, turn the heat to medium, and allow the unsoaked beans to cook approximately 3 hours (or until very soft and cracking open).


I stir the beans every 30 minutes or so to keep them cooking evenly and prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pot where they are likely to burn. During the last 30-60 minutes, I add any additional spices to allow them to become well incorporated into the beans without “cooking out” the flavor.

Often, when cooking for myself, I will season the beans with salt and cayenne or red pepper flakes only, and then reheat small batches during the week adding different spices every day. That allows me to enjoy different flavors throughout the week and avoid "burnout" or boredom.



This method is quick and easy. It produces a cleaner and more flavorful pot of beans. Again, do what works best for your family's preferences, but always CLEAN YOUR BEANS BEFORE SOAKING OR COOKING.

As-salaam alaikum,
Sis. Sanaa

Comments